Mountain Springs Community Center

Mountain Springs Historical School

“Organized in 1847 in a pioneer woman’s home, Mountain Springs School was Cooke County’s first school. In 1853, it was moved to a log schoolhouse near this site. In 1884, when it became part of the public school system, this land was deeded for a larger frame structure, called “The Big School”. By 1900, the academic year was lengthened to 6 months, beginning after harvest and ending before spring planting. This building, the fourth Mountain Springs School, was erected in 1920. In 1948, low enrollment led to consolidation with Valley View. The old school is now a community center.”
– The Texas Historical Marker

 

Today, the school serves as Mountain Springs Community Center. The interior of the school has been remodeled complete with a kitchen and gathering room for local residents to come together for various events.